What is the best certification to land a top Microsoft job?

 Ok, if you have to ask this question then you obviously don't have any experience (or very little).  That's not an attack, it's just an observation.  The relevance is very significant.  


With little to no experience NO certification will "land" you a top Microsoft job.  There is no certification out there that can replace experience.  


Microsoft has a few levels of certification.  The more prestigious is the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).  There are some other certifications on different tracks such as a database administrator.


I've been in the IT business for 6 years (not too terribly long) w/ the last 2 years being in a consultant role.  I have an MCSE in Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003.  I also have my Cisco CCNP.  While these certifications certainly help my consulting firm w/ their Cisco and Microsoft partnerships, it doesn't do much for one's salary if you don't have the experience to match.  Certifications aren't difficult to come by and you get a lot of people coming into the market w/ Certs out the wazoo w/ no real experience.  


Sorry to rant, but I just want you to know the truth.  Don't go paying $4000, or however much, to attend a course to get an MCSE at a school because they tell you that you can land a sweet job w/ the cert.  These certification "mills" will fill your head full of dreams that will end up getting you burned while padding their pockets.  


With that said, if you are willing to put the money and effort into getting a certification w/ the realization that you'll have to take a few modest jobs to start out then that's a different story.  


If you're not already in the IT business then think long and hard about it before you go in.  A lot of people think that just because they like computers that they'll automatically like a job in computers.  The IT industry is very tough and fast paced.  The technology changes rapidly and to be able to make it in the field you have to keep up.  This requires a LOT of time on your part in addition to actually doing the work.  It's not for everyone.  You have to ABSOLUTELY love it and be willing to neglect the ones you love to succeed. 


I actually wish that someone would have told me how it is before I got into it.  I'm now looking for a new line of work!

All comments are reviewed by the administrator, before they are published.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post